Concept English launched (Spring 2016) a blog space to provide opportunities for our students (6-12, additional grade levels may be added) throughout the network to discuss topics about who they are and how they think. The program has been modified this year to allow for quicker responses and notification of winners. We value 21st Century skills and know that this will encourage our students to speak up and out about ideas that matter to them. While finding their own voices is essential to their success, participating as a member of our blog community will all them to how to converse in on-going and evolving conversations with others, using technology. The students who write the best posts and comments will be eligible to win prizes. Five students will be honored for their work as part of this years writing competition as well.
We hope you will select a few of your students to blog with us. Once we receive their name and email, they will be sent a “join code.” This will ensure that they are part of a safe and secure environment. You will not be required to do anything extra.
If students want to get an idea of how blogging on the Kidblog platform works, here is a link: http://mrspripp.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-use-kidblog-video.html
Here is how it works:
- Teachers submit the names/emails of 2 students to firstname.lastname@example.org) by the 30th of each month.
- Each students will be sent a “join code” and they will log on to Concept English – Hear Me Blog ( https://kidblog.org/class/concept-english-hear-me-blog/posts) and introduce themselves (see my sample). Teachers have no extra work, students will be blogging with the Director, Andy.
- The first blog challenge will be posted by October 1st. Students write a response of 250 – 500 words. However, students must also comment on the original posts of others throughout the network to be eligible for a prize. DIALOGUE, CONVERSATION, and COMMUNITY ARE THE GOALS OF THIS 21st CENTURY TOOL.
- Students will be writing for other students, teachers, and adults who you want to understand your ideas and beliefs about things that matter to them. Like an advice column.
- Students will blog until October 15th. At that time an assessment will be made as to who had the most thorough post and comments. We are looking for critical thinking that reflects the understanding of the blog challenge. The prize winner will be notified within a week and his/her posts will be featured on the Concept English webpage.
- A second blog challenge will be posted by November 1st (and each month after) and the process will repeat. Additional interested students may be added at that time.
NOTE: It is expected that students organize their thinking (it is a great opportunity for them to practice paragraph development, well crafted sentences, as well as effective grammar and usage. Appropriate academic language should be employed and no vulgar or inappropriate language tolerated. Those entries will be deleted. If you are interested in teaching ideas that will support blogging in your classroom, simply make a request (email@example.com) and a packet will be forwarded to you.
The image below is for the Concept English: Hear Me Blog