Once you have had your local spelling be, enroll your winners for Chicago:
Concept English Spelling Bee is November 17, 2018
University of Illinois Chicago Student Center
THEME: Rhyme & Reason It’s Spelling Season
Each school has a designated Coordinator responsible for promoting and coordinating the local school bee and then registering students for Chicago on November 17th.
GSA Smiley – Jody Shaffer, firstname.lastname@example.org
GSA Fyler – Stephanie Lenhardt, email@example.com
HSA Belmont – Heather Petrella, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSA Cincinatti – Sandra Felicies, email@example.com
HSA Columbus – Jillian Jarvis, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSA Columbus Middle – Rachel Whitman email@example.com
HSA Dayton Elementary – Danielle Back, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSA Dayton Downtown – Susan Becker, email@example.com
HSA Lorain – Holly Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSA McKinley Park – Alexandra Bernard, email@example.com
HSA Southwest – Jennifer Basso, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSA Springfield – Melissa Brown, email@example.com
HSA Youngstown – Alyson Salmen, firstname.lastname@example.org
IMSA North, Lacey Lawson, email@example.com
IMSA West, Alicia Jones, firstname.lastname@example.org
MMSA – Ashley Ellis, email@example.com
MMSA Elementary Lorraine – Sarah Cilluffo, firstname.lastname@example.org
MMSA – Tyesha Bowens, email@example.com
Noble Cleveland – Raebecca Butina, firstname.lastname@example.org
Noble Columbus – Katie Smith, email@example.com
Past Spelling Bees
Bee Bold, Brave, Brilliant: 2017 Spelling Bee
Concept Schools’ Annual Spelling Bee was held on November 11th in the University of Illinois at Chicago student center. This year’s theme Bee Bold, Brave, and Brilliant proved to be the case with some fierce competition. On behalf of Concept Schools, we thank everyone who contributed extra time and effort in to hosting your local spelling bees and arranging for your student winners to come to Chicago to compete in our network event. Following the list of winners is a video and photographs from our wonderful event.
A hearty congratulations to both the individual and team winners. May you all be pleased and proud of your accomplishments.
6-8 Individual Winners
3rd Place – Edmund Dyer-Essig – HSA Springfield
2nd Place – Bedri Parlar – Noble Academy Columbus
1st Place – Victory Sampson – IMSA North
6-8 Team Winners
3rd Place – HSA Springfield
2nd Place – Noble Academy Columbus
1st Place – IMSA North
3-5 Individual Winners
3rd Place – Esad Gurbuz – HSA Lorain
2nd Place – Jawad Chowdhury – MMSA Michigan
1st Place – Christian Apollo – GSA Smiley
3-5 Team Winners
3rd Place – HSA Lorain
2nd Place – MMSA Michigan
1st Place – GSA Smiley
2017 Concept Schools’ Spelling Bee is November 11th
Bee Bold, Brave, Brilliant
University of Illinois at Chicago
750 South Halsted Street
Chicago, IL 60607
We hope you will take the time to prepare your students, hold your local competitions, and bring your winners to compete. Concept Schools’ offers a variety of special events that provide our students with the opportunity to speak in front of a live audience. The Spelling Bee allows our students to learn and spell new words, but also the opportunity to build confidence and self esteem.
- September 15 – November 1st: Register for the Chicago Spelling Bee
- Saturday, November 11th: Concept Schools’ Spelling Bee
- Click on the poster below to download and print.
- The Chicago spelling bee is divided into two group competitions, 3rd -5th grade division and the 6th-8th grade division.
- Each school may send one first place and one second place winner from each division (3rd-5th) and (6th-8th). Your alternate may attend the spelling bee but does not participate (unless one of your 1st or 2nd place winners care unable to compete).
- You must register names/information of your school’s division winners (1st and 2nd place winners) and one alternate. Please use the Google Doc form to register your winners by Wednesday, November 1st.
Online Registration Form:
- Travel and lodging is up to each school to arrange individually.
- Registration will begin at 10:00 a.m.
- More details related to the Chicago event will be forthcoming and posted on the Concept English website: http://english.conceptschools.org/
For questions or information, contact Andy Flaherty at firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Spelling Bee Ideas
Use the PDF’s for 3rd-5th and 6th-8th grade called “The Spelling Bee Toolbox” from Ann Fisher (a vendor who Concept Schools regularly uses for their word lists.) Here is a link to a Google Drive. Please note that these are “practice lists” and not the actual lists that will be used for our network bee.
Suggestions to prepare your students for our competition:
- Competitions. Set a start time and, if you open it up to other schools in your area, stick to your start time with no exceptions.
- Order of Spellers. Have students line up in alphabetical order by grade level. Progress from 3rd through 5th, and then 6th through 8th.
- Student Numbers. Students are in alphabetical order and the first last name with letter A would be 1. For example, 301 for 3rd grade, 401 for 4th grade, etc.
- Awards. In your school based spelling bees, have a 1st place champion and a 2nd place runner up for each division. Those two students will represent your school in Chicago. You may also determine an alternate/3rd place winner who may also attend in Chicago as an alternative. The alternate will only participate if either your 1st or 2nd place winner in that division cannot compete.
- Some additional resources for spelling words:
Idea Bank for School Programs and Classroom Instruction. See Google Drive.
Shout out to Ms. Petrella at HSA Belmont who has used this year’s theme and created her local competition.
I woke up the next morning, thinking about those words – immensely proud to realize that not only had I written so much at one time, but I’d written words that I never knew were in the world.